The last thing you need is your furnace going out on you unexpectedly. The best way to avoid this is by scheduling routine maintenance for your heating system.
At Larry & Sons, we understand that maintenance is a vague term, and you may not know what’s included in your tune-up appointment, so our team is sharing all the tasks we complete to help you keep your furnace in good shape!
Benefits of Annual Furnace Maintenance
You should inspect, clean, and service your system at least once a year to:
- Prevent breakdowns and premature system replacements
- Keep your system running efficiently
- Keep repair and utility costs down
- Ensure you have the reliable heating you need
Gas Furnace Tune-Up Checklist
Your HVAC technician will run a thorough tune-up of your furnace so that you can reap all the benefits of annual heating maintenance. Tasks performed include:
- Inspecting the heat exchanger surface: This is where the heat is transferred.
- Inspecting the igniter or pilot light: If your pilot light is flickering, weak, or yellow, your furnace will not produce sufficient heat.
- Inspecting all burners for proper operation: The burners on your furnace are responsible for creating heat in your system.
- Inspecting the gas valve: This mechanism controls the volume of gas the furnace needs and uses.
- Testing and labeling emergency shutoffs: This will ensure proper system safety should you need emergency service for your furnace.
- Inspecting the draft inducer motor: This motor helps filter the toxins created when burning gas.
- Inspecting the blower motor: This component forces air past the heat exchanger tubes to heat the air.
- Inspecting the limit (safety) switch and controls: Just like your emergency shutoffs, this mechanism is designed to be a safety feature on your furnace.
General Heating Maintenance Tasks
While the above list of checks is helpful for gas-powered furnaces, you can apply the following maintenance tasks to a variety of heating systems, not just a furnace!
- Replace air filters
- Lubricate pumps, bearings, and fans
- Inspect and tighten all electrical connections
- Inspect the thermostat for proper operation
- Inspect ductwork for leaks
- Run and test a complete heating cycle
- Ensure proper airflow
- Inspect the humidifier and dehumidifier
Schedule Furnace Maintenance With Larry & Sons Today
While you can do a few maintenance tasks yourself, like changing your air filter every few months, it’s best to leave most HVAC maintenance to the professionals.
That’s why we offer the Ultimate Service Agreement. On top of our heating maintenance services, this program includes:
- Exclusive money-saving coupons
- Priority service
- High-performance tune-ups for HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems
Ready to learn more? Contact us online or call (301) 733-5428 to join our USA maintenance program and schedule furnace maintenance in our service areas in Maryland, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia.