St. Patrick’s Day is here and everybody seems to be going green — well, drinking green beer and wearing green clothing at least. We’re talking about a different kind of “green.” By turning your kitchen green, you can save money and feel better about lessening your impact on the environment.
Besides using less paper and water, here is a list of ways you can put your kitchen in the St. Patty’s Day spirit.
10 Ways to Create a Green Kitchen:
- Use a dishwasher to wash your dishes, if you have one — they use less water than hand-washing (provided the dishwasher is full and on its most efficient setting).
- Use cloth towels instead of paper towels to clean up messes. You’ll use less water and save money too!
- Consider composting you food scraps in a bin near your sink. Compost makes great, free fertilizer for your plants. You can compost nearly all of your left-overs including, egg shells, coffee grounds, fruits, vegetables, and much more. Just remember to never compost meat.
- Consider replacing innefficient kitchen appliances with new, energy-efficient ones.
- Install foam insulation gaskets behind your electrical outlets.
- Use energy-efficient lighting options such as CFLs and LEDs.
- Instead of opening your oven, use your oven light to check up on your cooking.
- Keep the fridge and freezer full — less cold air will escape when you open the door.
- Set your fridge to 36-39 degrees F and your freezer to 0-5 degrees F.
- Use your microwave when you can. Your oven and stove consume quite a bit more energy.
Everyone at Larry & Sons wishes you a happy and “green” St. Patrick’s Day! To learn more about how to make your home more energy efficient, don’t hesitate to call Larry & Sons home experts at 301-733-5428.
If you haven’t already, don’t forget to schedule your annual air conditioning tune-up before the cooling season hits full force. An green, energy-efficient home starts with your HVAC system.
With our maintenance plan, we’ll remind you of your annual tune-up, provide 15% off all repairs, and much more!
To learn about all the areas in your home where you could be saving, schedule a professional home energy audit in Maryland with Larry & Sons — 301-733-5428.