Spring has sprung and the weather is definitely warming up. With flowers blooming and the sun out for longer periods, it is the perfect time to go around your home or office and implement some spring saving tips.
10 Tips & Tricks for Spring Savings
1. Inspect doors and windows for damage and air leaks. Replace screens and bent frames if necessary. For air leaks smaller than a ¼ inch, use weatherproof caulk. Any gaps or openings larger than a ¼ inch, use expandable foam spray.
2. Consider purchasing solar screens to block out more of the sun’s rays.
3. Close your windows during the day and shut the blinds/curtains when the sun is out. Conversely, if the temperature drops at night, consider opening up a few windows to take advantage of nature’s free cooling. Just remember to close them again when you wake up.
4. If your screens are still functional, but dirty, you can clean them with mild detergent, water, and a soft bristle brush.
5. Inspect you home for water leaks. You can do this by turning off all water-using appliances and then going to your water meter box to see if the water dial continues to move. The best resource we have found for finding and fixing water leaks is smarthomewaterguide.org. Water meters have a leak detection dial, indicated below:
6. If your water meter indicates a leak, check your toilets, sinks, and outdoor hoses/irrigation for leaks. Learn how to fix a leaking toilet here.
7. Inspect your basement and crawl spaces for any excessive moisture or mold. Be on the lookout for signs of water and moisture around your home. Mold and mildew causes many health problems and can be very dangerous. If you suspect mold and moisture in your home, call a professional plumber to inspect the situation and recommend solutions. If you suspect an indoor air quality issue, give Larry & Sons a call for your whole-home inspection.
8. Install a programmable thermostat for maximum savings. You can schedule your HVAC system to turn itself on and off at designated times. Smart thermostats like the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart and the Nest Learning Thermostat allow you to make thermostat changes from the convenience of your smart phone. Contact Larry & Sons to get a smart thermostat installed today!
9. Seal you air ducts! Watch this video to learn how. Ironically, don’t use duct tape. Use either mastic sealant or aluminum foil tape.
If you are in need of duct sealing services, we can help. Larry & Sons has been offering duct sealing services for many years throughout Hagerstown, Frederick, MD, and the surrounding areas. Our technicians are highly trained and we have the most state-of-the-art equipment available.
10. Schedule you annual air conditioning tune-up! In addition to increased energy efficiency (up to 15%), regular maintenance is usually required to keep your manufacturer’s warranty in effect. In addition to remembering to check and/or change your filter every month, the most important thing a homeowner can do to ensure optimum levels of HVAC efficiency is to schedule annual HVAC maintenance. Call Larry & Sons to schedule your appointment. Sign up for our maintenance plan and you will receive FREE ANNUAL HVAC TUNE-UPS!
Looking for more ways to save money and energy this spring?
To learn more about spring savings, schedule a professional home energy audit in Maryland with Larry & Sons — 301-733-5428.
We service Hagerstown, Frederick, and the surrounding Maryland areas. We also service parts of West Virginia and Pennsylvania.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more useful information and how-to’s.