Fall Plumbing Maintenance Checklist
Did you know that your home’s plumbing system accounts for approximately 15% of the property’s total value? It’s also probably one of the systems that you personally value the most. As such a vital component of your home, it only makes sense to take proper care of it. Keeping up with maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure that your home’s plumbing system will provide you and your family with fresh, clean water and remove waste and wastewater from your property in a safe, efficient manner.
Unfortunately, many homeowners don’t give their plumbing systems much thought until trouble arises. With the temperatures beginning to fall and the days getting shorter, now is the time to
start thinking about fall plumbing maintenance. Because winter really takes a toll on residential plumbing systems, it’s important to take steps to ensure that your property is ready for the months ahead. Here are a few tips for taking care of your plumbing system this fall.
Outside Plumbing Maintenance
- If you have a garden hose, remove it from the outdoor spigot.
- Cover all outdoor spigots with insulation covers.
- If you have shut-off valves for your outdoor faucets, turn them off and drain the water from the lines.
- Have your irrigation system winterized.
- Check outdoor faucets for leaks.
Inside Fall Plumbing Maintenance
- Check all water lines and faucets for leaks. Have any problems repaired immediately.
- Inspect, test and clean out your sump pump.
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Flush the water heater’s storage tank to remove sediment.
- Test the water heater’s pressure relief valve. To do this, simply lift the lever and allow it to snap back. If it is working properly, this will allow a burst of hot water to enter the drain pipe.
- Insulate hot and cold water lines in cold areas like crawl spaces, basements and garages.
If you need assistance with fall plumbing maintenance in the Hagerstown, Maryland area, contact Larry & Sons. To schedule an appointment, please call 301-733-5428.