Do you have terrible seasonal allergies or suffer from asthma in Frederick? While these reactions can often not be helped and are caused by seasonal changes, there are some things that you can do in your home to reduce the symptoms. In this blog post we’re going to explore the relationship between humidity levels in your home and asthma and allergies.
Benefits of Dry Air
Drying out the air in your home has a number of benefits for people with allergies. However, air that is too dry can also have a negative impact on people who suffer from allergies and asthma. Here are some of the benefits of dry air:
- Dry air can reduce the amount of dust mites and cockroaches (both common allergy triggers)
- Dry air reduces mold growth. Mold breeds by releasing spores into the air. When the spores land on something that is wet, they start to grow more mold. These spores are so small that they can actually be inhaled by humans. Some people have reactions to these mold spores.
Benefits of Moist Air
On the flip side of humidity in your home, adding more moisture to the air actually does have some benefits. Here are a few of them:
- When the air gets too dry, it can dry out your nasal passages and throat. This can cause irritation in some people who have asthma or allergies.
- In dry conditions, the droppings from dust mites and cockroaches can dry out and become airborne. These are obviously huge irritants for people with allergies.
- Because dust is primarily made of dead skin, pet dander is much more common in dry conditions that cause skin to dry out and flake.
Too Much Moisture?
But if you add too much moisture, you can risk encouraging the growth of molds. That’s why a humidity control system is a great idea to help control the moisture levels in your home’s air.
If you have any questions about the humidity levels in your home in Frederick, contact us at Larry & Sons and get answers. We have years of experience working with customers in the Frederick area to make sure that the humidity levels and air quality in their homes is exactly where it should be. Our main goal is make you comfortable – call now!