Frederick, MD Heating Guide: Pros and Cons of Heating Systems
After a warm, humid summer in Frederick, MD, you might look forward to the cooler temperatures of fall and the occasional beautiful snowfalls of winter. But you’ll need a solid heating system to get through the coldest days just as much as you need a powerful air conditioner for the warmest days. If you’re looking to get a new heating system installed for a Maryland winter, you should familiarize yourself with the different kinds currently available. Don’t get hasty picking a new heater: no matter how attractive one model may sound, it might not fit the needs of your home.
As you consider the pros and cons of these systems, keep Larry & Sons in mind: with our half century of experience, we can make the choice easier—and the installation a snap!
Boilers use hot water circulating through radiators or baseboards to heat your home.
- Pros: Boilers operate with little noise and are very energy efficient. Because they don’t use forced air or ducts, they maintain good quality air and are ideal for people with allergies, asthma, or pets. With fewer moving parts, they have reduced maintenance requirements.
- Cons: Water leaks can damage furniture and home structures. Boilers take longer to spread warmth because of the time required to heat the water.
Furnaces used forced air sent through vents to provide heat. Most models run off electricity, natural gas, or propane.
- Pros: New furnaces are much more efficient than older ones. They can work with existing duct systems such as those for air conditioners.
- Cons: Furnaces are tougher to install if there aren’t already ducts in place. Because they use ducts, the air can become dusty and lower your indoor air quality.
Get the heat you need right from the earth!
- Pros: Here’s a green option for clean and safe energy. Geothermal systems offer large savings because of their reduced fuel use. Like other heat pumps, they can reverse the heat exchange and serve as an air conditioner.
- Cons: Initial installation can be costly and time-consuming. Even more than other systems, geothermal heat pumps don’t work well in some areas, so it is important to consult a professional technician.
Many factors come into play when you choose to get a new heater installed. For advice in Frederick, MD for heating your home, consult experts like those at Larry & Sons. An energy audit and heat load calculation from an HVAC professional will narrow your choices so you get the system that will give you maximum comfort and energy savings this winter.