5 Ways to Stay Cool When Temperatures Soar
According NASA, 2016 is on track to be the hottest year on record, and if recent temperatures are any indication, they’re definitely right. In the summertime, temperatures can soar and in some instances, they can be deadly.
It’s hard to believe that just eight short months ago we were dealing with a massive snowstorm!
Though the heat and humidity can be miserable, there are several things you can do to stay cool and beat the heat.
- Stay Hydrated. Drinking plenty of cold water is one of the best ways to stay cool. You lose a lot of water when you sweat, and if you’re dehydrated, you won’t be able to cool yourself down. Keep a bottle of cold water with you during the summer, and fill it up several times throughout the day.
- Close Your Windows and Blinds. Bright, sunny days are undoubtedly beautiful, but all that sun heats up rooms in a hurry. Draw your blinds to keep the room shaded, and close the windows – especially if you’re running your air conditioner.
- Run Your Fans. Hot air naturally rises, and cooler air falls. Running fans – including ceiling fans and the fan in your HVAC system – circulates the air to maintain a more consistent temperature throughout your home.
- Dress Light. Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothing and light colors that reflect the sun.
- Crank Up the AC! Your best bet to stay cool on scorching hot summer days is running your air conditioner. However, it will only help if it’s running properly. We recommend having your cooling system inspected at least once each year to ensure that it’s running at peak efficiency and won’t leave you sweltering in the heat.
Staying Cool in Hagerstown
If you need help staying cool in Hagerstown, Larry & Sons can help. From annual AC maintenance to the best air conditioner repair in Hagerstown around, we do it all! For assistance from a trusted Hagerstown HVAC technician, give us a call at 301-733-5428 now.
Are you planning a vacation this summer? As you’re preparing for your trip, it’s important to make sure your home is ready for your vacation as well. You already know it’s important to secure your home against criminals, but it’s just as critical to check on your home’s plumbing and HVAC systems.
Preparing Your Home for Vacation
With these pro tips, you can protect your home and conserve energy while you’re away. Keep them in mind anytime you’re getting ready to leave your home for more than a day.
Turn off the Main Water Supply
A water leak can cause major damage over the course of a few days. Before you leave for your trip, turn off your main water supply to ensure that you won’t have any nasty leaks while you’re away.
Check Your Sump Pump
Make sure your sump pump is working properly to ensure that, if a storm blows in while you’re away, you won’t end up with a flooded basement. If the pump isn’t working, have it repaired before you leave.
Clean Your Gutters and Downspouts
Cleaning your gutters and downspouts ensures that rainwater is diverted away from your home. You may want to check floor drains in your basement as well.
Turn Your Water Heater Off
You won’t be using hot water at home while you’re away, so why leave the water heater turned on? Turn your water heater off before you hit the road to save a considerable amount on your energy bill while you’re away.
Other Things to Consider When Going on Vacation
- Don’t share your vacation plans on social media. Wait until you’re back home to post pictures and let people know you were away.
- Stop your mail and newspaper deliveries or have a neighbor pick them up daily.
- Trim your bushes to eliminate hiding spots around doors and windows.
Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway, a journey around the world or anything in between, don’t get so caught up in packing your bags and planning your itinerary that you forget to get your home ready for your time away. If you need help with plumbing or HVAC maintenance before you leave, contact Larry & Sons now.