One of the most effective ways to ensure the efficiency of your Martinsburg home’s heating and air conditioning systems and reduce your total energy consumption is to have a home energy audit performed. Such audits check for common signs of energy loss and for simple ways to improve overall efficiency. Here are some things you can do on your own to audit energy consumption and some others that a professional will do to get a better idea of total energy use.
At Home Energy Audit
- Check for Air Leaks – Do a visual inspection for air leaks, checking windows, doors and outward facing walls for leaks. A professional can be more thorough but often you can find a number of them.
- Monitor Your Meters – Keep an eye on your meters and check for sudden increases or changes in water, electricity or natural gas consumption.
- Check Insulation – Inspect and check your insulation for rips, breaks or other issues that might make it less efficient.
- Check Your Lighting – Replace your light bulbs with newer CFL bulbs or LED bulbs. These are more efficient and last much longer than older incandescents.
- Inspect Appliances – Check your appliances for efficiency ratings and other common problems that might reduce their efficiency.
Professional Energy Audit
- Blower Test Doors – Blower test doors allow a professional to pressurize and check your home for leaks. This process will thoroughly catalog any weaknesses in your ventilation and insulation.
- Ductwork Inspection and Testing – A ductwork inspection will find and repair any cracks or leaks in your ductwork and ensure it is as efficient as possible.
- Thermographic Inspections – A thermographic inspection uses advanced infrared technology to check for heat or cooling loss due to gaps in insulation, leaks or holes in weatherstripping or insulation.
If you are serious about cutting your energy consumption and improving the overall efficiency of your home’s heating and cooling systems, consider a home energy audit from a Martinsburg professional that can provide accurate readings of your total usage. For more information about home energy audit, call Larry & Sons today!