Happy Earth Day!
Although every day should be Earth Day, we are celebrating today by recognizing areas in the home for energy-efficient improvements. Since everybody is leading full, busy lives, we wanted to provide practical, actionable advice for creating an energy-efficient home. Don’t delay, go green today!
Top 10 Green Tips to Save Money and the Planet
- Schedule your annual HVAC tune-up to ensure you are using the minimum amount of energy to effectively heat and cool your home.
- Check your air filters every month. Write the date on the filter itself so you know when you last replaced it. We also recommend setting monthly reminders so you never forget. Replacing dirty air filters will significantly reduce the workload on your HVAC system and improve the quality of your indoor air. It’s a win-win!
- Use a programmable thermostat for maximum savings. We recommend setting the thermostat to 78°F while at home and 80°F or higher when away from home. According to energy.gov, raising the thermostat setting in the summer or lowering it in the winter by just 1°F for a period of 8 hours will save you 1% on your energy bill. Those savings add up!
- Check your home for air leaks and replace any old weatherstripping and caulking. Don’t forget to seal your air ducts, which lose, on average, about 20% of your home’s conditioned air. You can hold a piece of toilet paper or incense stick around areas where you suspect a leak. Watch this video to learn how to find air leaks and insulate your home:
For more Green Tips you can start implementing today to save money and the planet, read our previous posts:
- 10 Green Tips & Tricks for Spring Savings
- Save Water and Go Green Today!
- Green Tips for the Kitchen
- How to Fix a Running Toilet
- Saving Energy Saves Money INFOGRAPHIC
- 5 Easy Ways to Lower Your HVAC Bill
If you needed any more convincing for taking action this Earth Day, watch Morgan Freeman narrate “What’s Possible,” for the UN Climate Summit:
For over 55 years, Larry & Sons has been serving your home heating and cooling needs in the great Hagerstown, Maryland area. Contact us for an expert able perform nearly any home service you need. We offer installation, repair, and maintenance of heating, air conditioning, geothermal, solar and indoor air quality systems. We service all makes and models, even if we didn’t install your system to begin with.
We are also full–service plumbers, offering water heater repair and installation, sewer and drain services and water treatment systems.
For more information on how to lower your heating bill, give us a call at 301-733-5428. We’d be glad to answer all of your questions.
To further save and reduce your impact on the environment, we highly recommend signing up for a maintenance plan that ensures 2 annual heating and air conditioning tune-ups, 15 % off all repairs, and much more! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more useful information and how-to’s.