Fire Prevention Week
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Don’t Wait — Check the Date!
Larry & Sons marks National Fire Prevention Week with common-sense ways to reduce your home’s fire risk
HAGERSTOWN, MD. October 9, 2016 – Fire is a danger in any home, at any time. This week is National Fire Prevention Week, and Larry & Sons, a leading air conditioning, heating and plumbing company serving Hagerstown and Frederick, Maryland and surrounding counties for nearly 50 years, is offering common-sense ways to help your family be fire-safe.
The theme for this year’s observation is “Don’t wait—check the date! Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.”
“Fire is one of the most devastating things that can happen to a family and a home,” says Eric Corbett, president and owner of Larry & Sons. “If a fire starts in your home, you may have just two minutes to escape. The most effective way to protect yourself and your home from fire is to identify and remove potential fire hazards.”
According to the American Red Cross, 60 percent of house fire deaths occur in homes with no working smoke alarms. On average, 39 people die each year in fires in this country.
“Having operational alarms, and having a fire escape plan, can save your life,” says Corbett.
Corbett offers tips to help keep your family and your home safe:
- Develop a fire escape plan with your family. Make sure everyone knows how to get out and where to meet. Practice the plan at least twice a year. If a fire occurs in your home, get out and stay out. Teach everyone to stop, drop and roll if their clothes catch fire.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. Test them once a month, and if they’re not working, change the batteries. Replace them every 10 years.
- Keep flammable items at least three feet clear of anything that produces heat, such as a space heater or a fireplace.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home. If it sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors or near an open window or door.
- Cook safely, and teach your kids to do the same. Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling. If you leave the kitchen, even for a moment, turn off the stove. Stay home while simmering, baking, roasting or boiling. Check on it regularly and use a timer to remind you. And keep anything that can catch fire, such as pot holders or towels, away from the stove.
- Use caution with portable fire extinguishers. Keep one in the kitchen, but use it only if you have been trained by the fire department and if the fire is confined to a small area, the room is not filled with smoke, everyone has exited the building, and the fire department has been called.
For more information, or to view the services that Larry & Sons offers, visit www.larryandsons.com.
About Larry & Sons, Inc.
Larry & Sons, Inc. has served Tri-State area homeowners since 1960. With experts for nearly any home service needed, Larry & Sons offers full-service plumbing for repair and installation of water heaters, sewer systems, drain services and water treatment systems. The company also has solutions for central heating and air conditioning, geothermal, or general indoor air quality control systems. Team members at Larry & Sons, Inc. are licensed and trained to handle any job from leaky faucets and clogged drains to full remodels of bathrooms. For more information about Larry & Sons, Inc., visit www.larryandsons.com or call 301-733-5428.