Dealing with Frozen Pipes? Here’s What To Do! (And What Not to Do)
Dealing with frozen pipes is something no homeowner ever wants to do. Unfortunately, it’s a possible reality when the temperature drops below freezing. While there are several things you can do to prevent your pipes from freezing – like leaving faucets drip and installing foam pipe insulation – sometimes, even the best efforts fail.
If you have frozen pipes in your home, don’t panic! Here’s what to do when you have a frozen pipe.
What to Do When You Have a Frozen Pipe
Because a frozen pipe can burst and cause significant damage, we recommend contacting a professional plumber when you’re dealing with frozen pipes. If, however, you’d rather take a DIY approach, here are a few things you should – and shouldn’t – do.
- Leave the faucet open. As the frozen area in the pipe begins to melt and water starts flowing, it will help melt the ice in the line.
- Apply heat where the pipe is frozen. Wrap an electric heating pad or towels soaked in hot water around the pipe. You can also use an electric hair dryer or heat gun. Do NOT use a blowtorch or any type of device that uses an open flame.
- Warm the area using a space heater. If the frozen pipe is in an unheated area such as your basement, crawlspace or attic, set up an electrical portable space heater to warm the area. Never leave the heater unattended, and make sure it’s set up away from flammable materials.
- Apply heat until water is fully restored. When thawing your pipes, don’t stop applying heat until your full water pressure has been restored.
- Know when you call for help. If the frozen pipe is visibly bulging, turn off your water and call a licensed plumber immediately. It’s also crucial to call in an expert if you’ve been trying to thaw your pipes yourself and not had any success. The longer your pipes are frozen, the greater the chance of them bursting.
Frozen Pipe in Hagerstown
If you’re dealing with a frozen pipe in Hagerstown, don’t risk a disastrous rupture. Contact the licensed plumbers at Larry & Sons for the plumbing repair help you need. Call 301-733-5428.